Well the past couple of weeks have been busy, but that sounds like the rest of my summer vacation. The last week of July was spent signing a lease for a new apartment, packing last minute, moving (hired help-yay!), cleaning the old place, unpacking the new place, applying for the master’s program at CSU-Pueblo, knitting, visiting, and so much more. I really don’t know how I’m still going. One thing that has kinda kept me going are my projects. They are a nice way of getting the mind off unpacking, but a temporary getaway can be dangerous when it comes to unpacking. I want to say about 50% of the boxes are unpacked. All I need to work on is the extra room which has most of my school, scrapbooking, yarn, and fiber.
A few days after being in my new place I finished my Pinwheel Rug. I was so happy to get it done. I started on it in March while CSAP testing, so that’s about 4.5 months. I had a few people who tried to talk me into not felting it; that I should use it as a blanket instead. Last Saturday I felted it at home and laid it out to dry at the LYS, since I didn’t have room at the new place. I was really shocked at how fast it took to felt, but I am very happy at the outcome. I think my wheel looks awesome on it. :D
I have been working on my first sweater since a few women at the shop have finished a couple of sweaters. Some of them being felted sweaters, which means they were bigger projects than mine to begin with. Pretty bad, I know. I finished with a seed stitch and picot bind off. It looks really nice. Then I started to work on the sleeves and noticed that they were HUGE! The pattern I’m using is for a guy, so the size I was using was for a bigger guy…therefore big sleeves. With discussion from a few friends, I’ve decided to do something I didn’t want to do…I must cut it. I guess it’s called steeking. When I cut it I will be sewing up a seam. This will close up the armholes creating a tighter sleeve; one that will fit just one of my arms. I was hoping to do the sweater all in the round without seams, but I gotta do what I gotta do. The lesson that was learned: Stick with patterns for the correct sex unless you have experience knitting that type of garment.
Since I am in no hurry to finish the sweater by cutting and sewing it back together I had to find a new project. You’d think that I’d be able to choose something from the tons of books and my large stash, but noooo! I instead used the internet (Ravelry) and bought new yarn. Lol I’ve always wanted to wear the slouchy, rasta style hats/berets. I knew the Alpaca would hang nicely, and would be like heaven to work with. It took me about an afternoon, early evening, and morning to finish it. Once I tried it on I decided it wasn’t exactly what I wanted. It wasn’t slouchy enough. So I plan on giving it to my sister for her Christmas present. It’s in a color she would like. I’m going to try to alter the pattern so that it fits the way I’d like.
I’m working on a new slouchy beret. I started it today. I have the brim and the beginning of the lace pattern started for the first round. So far, it’s not too bad. I just don’t like that there’s a YO at the end of the stitch grouping. It’s hard to do a YO doing magic loop. Well I think so anyways.
Well that’s it for me. I better be getting to bed. I have training tomorrow and Friday.